Nice Jazz Festival
The Nice Jazz Festival is one of the oldest jazz festivals in Europe and an unmissable event in French Riviera. Since its first event in 1948, the Nice Jazz Festival was said to have been “the first jazz festival of international significance”. Ever since Louis Armstrong hit the stage as the undisputed star of the first event, many great artists followed: Ella Fitzgerald, Stephanie Grappelli, Carlos Santana, and Earth, Wind, and Fire.
But, as time progressed, the festival has begun to open up to various musical trends. Pop, hip-hop, and eclectic musicians now join the stage for a one-of-a-kind music festival. Now, jazz stars are joined by musicians like Chick Corea, George Benson, Gipsy King, Mary J. Blige among many others. It also opened its door to current artists like Keziah Jones, Ibrahim Maalouf, Jamie Cullum, Billy Hart, Randy Weston, Parov Stellar, and many other contemporary artists.
Nice Jazz Festival: 2019 Event Details
The event will run from July 16 to July 20, 2019. There will be six concerts every night. The performances are wide in scope and include rock, pop, hip-hop, and funk.
The jammin’ and groovin’ will take place at Place Masséna (all genres) and Théâtre de Verdure (jazz-only). It will be five nights of pure music to celebrate jazz and to open arms to contemporary music. Artists perform on multiple stages with diverse musical performances.
Théâtre de Verdure will be the venue for exclusive all-jazz performances. The massive Masséna stage will be open for the larger (standing) crowd. There will be two outdoor stages. Tickets will give access to all concerts, and all ages are welcome. Spectators can bounce between performances, and help themselves at various food and drinking venues.
Nice Jazz Festival: 2019 Performers
- Tuesday, July 16: Neneh Cherry; Jacob Banks; Nile Rodgers and Chic (all three on Place Masséna); Nubya Garcia (Théâtre de Verdure: 5:30 pm); Fred Hersch Trio (Théâtre de Verdure: 8:45 pm); Christian McBride Situation (Théâtre de Verdure: 10:30 pm);
- Wednesday, July 17: Jordan Rakei; Angelé; The Blaze (on Place Masséna); Judi Jackson (Théâtre de Verdure: 7:30 pm); Christian Sands Trio (Théâtre de Verdure: 8:45 pm); Macaya McCraven ft. Marquis Hill & Brandee Younger (Théâtre de Verdure: 10:30 pm);
- Thursday, July 18: Ezra Collective; Masego; Black Eyed Peas (on Place Masséna); Kokoroko (Théâtre de Verdure: 7:30 pm); Sarah McKenzie (Théâtre de Verdure: 8:45 pm); Orquesta Akokán (Théâtre de Verdure: 10:30 pm);
- Friday, July 19: José James celebrates Bill Withers; Hocus Pocus; Ibrahim Maalouf invite Haïdouti Orkestar (all three on Place Masséna); Fred Nardin Trio (Théâtre de Verdure: 7:30 pm); Ralph Peterson and the Messenger Legacy (Théâtre de Verdure: 8:45 pm); Jean-Luc Ponty Atlantic Years Quintet (Théâtre de Verdure: 10:30 pm);
- Saturday, July 20: Jupiter Okwess; Kimber Rose; Bigflo and Oli (on Place Masséna); Frédéric Viale Trio (Théâtre de Verdure: 6:45 pm); Andries Brandeis Quintet (Théâtre de Verdure: 7:30 pm); Samy Thiebault (Théâtre de Verdure: 8:45 pm); Omara Portuondo (Théâtre de Verdure: 10:30 pm);
Video of the Nice Jazz Festival
Nice Jazz Festival 2019 Event details
|Event Type: Music Festival|
Date: 14, 21, and 29 of July; 07, 15, and 24 of August 2019
Timing: Doors will open at 6:30pm. Concerts start at 7:30pm, but will start at 7pm on Friday, July 21. On Tuesday, July 17, the doors open at 5pm at Espace Jacques Cotta and 5:30pm at Théâtre de Verdure.
Location: Masséna stage (can accommodate up to 6500 standing crowd) and Théâtre de Verdure (up to 2415 people, including sitting, standing, and wheelchair).
Contact: Phone: +33497135533, firstname.lastname@example.org, or send messages here.
Social Media: Facebook Twitter Instagram
Website: Official Jazz Festival Website
How to get To the Nice Jazz Festival
By car: Smart parking: You can use the 5 “Parcazur” car parks at your disposal. They allow reaching the city center by public transport (tram or bus) without worrying about your vehicle. The “Parcazur” is guarded and monitored by a video camera system. Parcazur “Las Plana” / “Pon-Michel” / “Vauban” / “Saint-Augustin” / “Exhibition Center”.
By tram: Stations Masséna and Opera Old Town: A train leaves every 10 minutes after 9pm at the end of the service. Depart from the station “Las Planas” to “Pont-Michel” at 12:50am. Depart from the station “Pont-Michel” to “Las Plana” at 1:35am.
By bus: To get to the festival, you can use the many bus lines that serve the city center.
By bike: You can rent a bike and any of the 175 stations spread throughout the city and the first half-hour is free!
By train: SNCF station “Nice Ville”, then follow Google Maps.