Nice Jazz Festival – since 1948
It is one of the oldest jazz festivals in Europe and an unmissable event in French Riviera. In its birth in 1948, Nice Jazz Festival focuses mainly on jazz music. But as time progresses, the festival opened up to various musical trends. Pop, hip-hop, and eclectic musicians and artists join the stage for a one-of-a-kind music festival. It is open to all ages. It is said to be “the first jazz festival of international significance”. Ever since Louis Armstrong hit the stage as the undisputed star of the first event, many great artists followed: Ella Fitzgerald, Stephanie Grappelli, Carlos Santana, and Earth, Wind, and Fire. There was also Chick Corea, George Benson, Gipsy King, Mary J. Blige among many others. It also opened its door to current artists like Keziah Jones, Ibrahim Maalouf, Jamie Cullum, Billy Hart, Randy Weston, Parov Stellar, and many other contemporary artists.
The jammin’ and groovin’ will take place at Place Masséna and Théâtre de Verdure. It will be five nights of pure music to celebrate jazz and to open arms to contemporary music. this year, artists will once again perform on multiple stages with diverse musical performances. The event will run from July 16 (Tuesday) to July 20 (Saturday) this year. There will be six concerts every night.
Théâtre de Verdure will be the venue for exclusive all-jazz performances. The massive Masséna stage will be open for the larger (standing) crowd. The performances are wider in scope which includes rock, pop, hip-hop, and funk. With the beautiful venue between the theater, the place, and the seaside, the event is surely agreeable. There will be two outdoor stages. Tickets will give access to all concerts. Spectators can bounce between performances, and help themselves on various food and drinking venues.
Details of the event
Event type: Music Festival
Timings: Doors will open at 6:30 pm. Concerts start at 7:30 pm, but will start at 7:00 pm on Friday, July 21. On Tuesday, July 17, the doors open at 5:00 pm at Espace Jacques Cotta. The first concert will be at 5:30 pm for Théâtre de Verdure.
Location: Masséna stage (can accommodate up to 6, 500 standing crowd) and Théâtre de Verdure (up to 2, 415 person, including sitting, standing, and for some with reduced mobility).
- Stations Masséna and Opera Old Town: A train every 10 minutes of 21 h at the end of the service. Depart from the station “Las Planas” to “Pont-Michel” at 0h50. Depart from the station “Pont-Michel” to “Las Plana” at 1:35.
- Smart parking: You can use the 5 “Parcazur” car parks at your disposal. They allow reaching the city center by public transport (tram or bus) without worrying about your vehicle. The “Parcazur” is guarded and monitored by a video camera system.
- Parcazur “Las Plana” / “Pon-Michel” / “Vauban” / “Saint-Augustin” / “Exhibition Center”
To get to the Festival, you can use the many bus lines that serve the city center. Calculate your trip.
175 stations spread throughout the country and the first half hour is free!
SNCF station “Nice Ville”.
COMING BY CAR: DIRECTION ITALY
- Highway A8 exit 50
- Nice – Promenade des Anglais
- Nice Center
- Continue on: D6202 / Boulevard Georges Pompidou (0.2 km)
- Turn left towards: NICE / PROMENADE DES ANGLAIS / CAGNES-SUR-MER / SOPHIA-ANTIPOLIS / CAP 3000 (< 0.1 km)
- Continue on: Promenade Edouard Corniglion-Molinier (1.4 km)
- Continue on: Promenade des Anglais (4 km).
- Tuesday, July 16: Neneh Cherry; Jacob Banks; Nile Rodgers and Chic (all three on Place Masséna); Nubya Garcia (Théâtre de Verdure: 5:30 pm); Fred Hersch Trio (Théâtre de Verdure: 8:45 pm); Christian McBride Situation (Théâtre de Verdure: 10:30 pm);
- Wednesday, July 17: Jordan Rakei; Angelé; The Blaze (on Place Masséna); Judi Jackson (Théâtre de Verdure: 7:30 pm); Christian Sands Trio (Théâtre de Verdure: 8:45 pm); Macaya McCraven ft. Marquis Hill & Brandee Younger (Théâtre de Verdure: 10:30 pm);
- Thursday, July 18: Ezra Collective; Masego; Black Eyed Peas (on Place Masséna); Kokoroko (Théâtre de Verdure: 7:30 pm); Sarah McKenzie (Théâtre de Verdure: 8:45 pm); Orquesta Akokán (Théâtre de Verdure: 10:30 pm);
- Friday, July 19: José James celebrates Bill Withers; Hocus Pocus; Ibrahim Maalouf invite Haïdouti Orkestar (all three on Place Masséna); Fred Nardin Trio (Théâtre de Verdure: 7:30 pm); Ralph Peterson and the Messenger Legacy (Théâtre de Verdure: 8:45 pm); Jean-Luc Ponty Atlantic Years Quintet (Théâtre de Verdure: 10:30 pm);
- Saturday, July 20: Jupiter Okwess; Kimber Rose; Bigflo and Oli (on Place Masséna); Frédéric Viale Trio (Théâtre de Verdure: 6:45 pm); Andries Brandeis Quintet (Théâtre de Verdure: 7:30 pm); Samy Thiebault (Théâtre de Verdure: 8:45 pm); Omara Portuondo (Théâtre de Verdure: 10:30 pm);
Director: Fredérica Randrianome Karsenty, Phone +33(0)4 97 13 40 42 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Details: Phone: +33(0)4 97 13 55 33 / email@example.com, or send messages here.
Please see the official website of the Festival.
Also, visit the official website of Nice.